Fighting For The Elderly, Vulnerable and Injured.

Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance

On Behalf of | Oct 14, 2010 | Blog, Insurance, Law Articles

Uninsured and Underinsured Insurance

The Importance of UM/UIM Insurance – Everyone Should Have it!

In California, it is illegal to drive without certain minimum liability insurance requirements.  A driver of passenger vehicles must carry at least $15,000 for injury or death to one person, $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person, and at least $5,000 for damage to property.  In addition, there is optional insurance that protects the driver or owner of a vehicle involved in a motor vehicle crash.  Uninsured driver (UM) protects you and your family if an uninsured driver negligently operates his or her vehicle and causes an accident.

It is no secret that we are experiencing hard economic times.  The unemployment rate in California reached 12.4 percent in May of 2010, nearly an all-time high.  And even though insurance is essential, more and more people are driving without insurance or with minimum coverage.  If they can’t afford insurance, they probably can’t afford to pay for your medical bills or property damage.  Now more than ever, uninsured motorist insurance is increasingly important.  And, it is relatively inexpensive.

Underinsured motorist insurance (UIM) protects you and your family if you are injured by a driver who causes more injuries than his or her insurance can pay.  UIM insurance pays the difference.

So many people nowadays are driving without insurance or too little insurance.  If you or your family gets injured in a motor vehicle accident, you want to ensure that you are covered from all of the uninsured drivers on the road.  If the other driver is driving without insurance or without adequate insurance, you won’t be able to get sufficient recovery to cover your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.

York Law Firm represents clients who have been injured by drivers who have no insurance or who are underinsured.  It is unfair for anyone to have to pay out of pocket for their own injuries because they have had the misfortune of colliding with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, which is why we encourage you to increase your UM/UIM insurance to at a minimum of $300,000.  If you or a family member have been injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact our law office to find out your legal rights.

York Law Corporation
Sacramento, California
Call today: 916-643-2200