Fighting For The Elderly, Vulnerable and Injured.

Answering Your Elder Abuse And Neglect Questions

There is a lot to know about elder abuse and how to respond to it, and you may find yourself with more questions than answers. At York Law Firm, our California attorneys want to answer some early questions you may have before you meet with us. If you have more questions after reading this page, call 916-643-2200 or email us here to schedule your initial consultation at our office in Sacramento.

What is the difference between elder abuse and elder neglect?

Neglect refers to a caretaker not taking any action to look after a resident, such as not feeding, clothing or cleaning a resident. Abuse is commonly the result of intentional harm that a caretaker causes a resident.

Who should I report elder abuse to?

If you suspect your loved one is suffering from abuse or spot some of the signs of abuse, reach out to your local ombudsman, an advocate for nursing home residents. Also, be sure to reach out to Adult Protective Services and an attorney for additional support.

What causes elder abuse or neglect?

Abuse and neglect from staff members can happen for any number of reasons. If the care facility does not have enough staff or did not properly train them, residents may end up suffering from neglect. If the home mistakenly or knowingly hired caretakers with a history of violence, abuse can soon occur.

What laws protect elderly individuals in the state?

Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act (EADACPA) and Title 22, administered by the California Department of Social Services, are two primary protective laws. EADACPA confirms an elder’s rights and creates a duty for California to regulate abuse and neglect. Title 22 dictates the requirement that nursing homes need to meet to provide clean and safe care to residents.

What should I do if I think my elderly loved one is being abused or neglected?

If you have suspicions of elder abuse, talk to your loved one to confirm your suspicions. Document anything they may say and any other signs of abuse. Report your findings to the relevant parties and then reach out to us for the representation you and your loved one need.